I've been banging away for awhile now at a 15' Chestnut Chum (smaller version of the Pal). I view it as another practice canoe as it needs quite a lot of work compared to the 1st one I worked on.
This canoe requires a bunch of ribs replaced ( +/- 15 of them). The decks and gunwales were in typical poor condition and needed work too. I've replaced the entire inner gunwales (I didn't like the look of splicing the ends on my last project) and both decks have been replaced too.
Replacing the ribs was my biggest concern as I've never bent wood before and it involves using steam to get it done right.
After busting 8 out of 10 ribs a couple of weeks ago I decided to make a proper steam box.
I soaked the ribs overnight in water then steamed them for about 30 minutes. The ribs bent like a charm with only one breaking... it was too short to bend properly.
The sad thing was that I had 5 more ribs ready in the steamer but ran out of clamps!
I brought my project into the basement (for some reason my wife gave me permission ) Just intended to do some sanding and varnishing to pass the time over the cold winter.
Since I managed to get in in where it was warm, I figured I'd give a shot at canvasing it. Tried the upside down method I used on my previous canoe but things were not working out for some reason. I think it was the tight quartres of my working area. I opted to try the traditional method of hanging the canvas and dropping the canoe into it.
After some cursing I managed to get the canvas on. Now it was just taking up space in my basement. Took it back out to the garage and applied the filler and there is will sit until sometime in May I think before I finish it off.